Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Foodie Friends

The best source of good recipes are your foodie friends (and Tasty Kitchen). Gola has passed along a few of my favorite holiday standbys. The haystack recipe I posted earlier and the ham and cheese cheeseball were both given to my by Gola.


I met Gola my first year in Alberta. We have been great friends since. We have spent Christmas Eve together every year. This year, Gola and Al hosted and we ate and ate and ate. And played Wii. I brought her cheeseball and Newfie hors d'oeuvres. Newfie Hors d'Oeuvres are not my cup of tea. A slice of Vienna sausage, a chunk of cheddar cheese and a piece of sweet mix pickle. Blech! But Lee and Nik had no problem polishing them off.


So if you are looking for an appetizer for an upcoming New Year's get together, give the cheeseball a try.


Gola's Ham and Cheese Cheeseball


1 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened

1 cup sharp cheddar, grated

3/4 cup Miracle Whip

2 Tbs sweet pickle relish

1 can Flakes of Ham


Mix all ingredients in a bowl with stand or hand mixer until combined. Line a small bowl with plastic wrap and add the mixture, pressing it down. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.


When ready to serve, invert bowl on plate or serving platter and remove plastic wrap. Use finely grated cheddar to coat the outside. Serve with Ritz crackers.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment