Sunday, January 17, 2010

Potato Soup for the Soul

Happy New Year!!

Last night I decided to try something I enjoy in restaurants but never make at home.

Baked Potato Soup!

It turned out great! I halved Calamity Anne's recipe, but didn't halve the bacon. Can never have too much bacon in potato soup! It is very hearty, very filling soup. So don't grab your largest soup bowl and fill it almost to the top.
Calamity Anne's Baked Potato Soup

4 Large Baking Potatoes
2/3 Cup (11 Tablespoons) Butter Or Margarine
2/3 Cup All-purpose Flour
6 Cups Milk (I used whole milk, but would use my good ole skim milk next time. Whatever you have on hand is fine)
3/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
4 Green Onions, Chopped And Divided
12 Slices Bacon, Cooked, Crumbled, And Divided
1-1/4 Cups (5 Ounces) Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Divided
1 (8-ounce) Carton Sour Cream
Chicken Bouillon (optional)
Wash potatoes and prick several times with a fork; bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour or until done. Let cool. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise; then scoop out pulp, and set aside. Discard skins.

Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. (I also added a tablespoon of the bacon fat for flavor)
Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.

Add potato pulp, salt, pepper, 2 tablespoons green onions, 1/2 cup bacon, and 1 cup cheese.
Cook until thoroughly heated; stir in sour cream.
Add extra milk, if necessary, for desired thickness. I found it to be quite thick, but I liked it that way and didn't add any extra milk. I think my leftovers will be thicker, so when I reheat it, I will add extra milk at that time.
Add little bit of chicken bouillon for extra flavoring. Serve with remaining onion, bacon, and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment