Friday, February 26, 2010

Friday Night Chili

I am so glad it's Friday. I get to sleep in tomorrow. I love the Olympics, but, I am ready to get back to regular TV. But not before Canada captures the gold in Men's Hockey!


How about Women's Team Canada, eh?? How empowering for all woman, especially Canadian women and girls who play competitive hockey! I don't feel it's about who wins the most medals, but more about pride in our athletes, our country, and our people. What a sense of accomplishment Olympic athletes must feel!


Not much going on with us here in the prairies. I am hoping to prep for next weekend tomorrow. I am going to a scrapbooking weekend, and I trying to be somewhat prepared. Should be good times though.


Being Friday, and having a craving for chili, I put one together for dinner tonight. I think it turned out pretty good. I am even eating it from the bowl I got from the Handicraft Guild's Chili Bowl Supper.









Friday Night Chili



  • 1 lb lean ground beef
  • 2 tsp salt, divided
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 can tomato sauce (398mL)
  • 1 can diced tomatoes (398mL)
  • 1 can red kidney beans, drained (398mL)
  • 1 can Aylmer Accents tomatoes with Chili seasonings (540mL)
  • 1 cup sweet corn, frozen or canned
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne
  • 1 clove garlic minced
  • 1 1/2 Tbs molasses
  • 1 1/2 Tbs brown sugar

Add beef, 1 tsp salt and pepper to a large saucepan. Brown beef and drain. Add all remaining ingredients and mix well. Simmer on low heat for one hour.


I don't know if Aylmer tomatoes or chili seasoned tomatoes are available in the US, just as we can't get Rotel in Canada. If not, you could used diced tomatoes, you just may need to add a bit more chili powder and garlic. I tasted the tomatoes out of the can and chili and garlic were the predominant flavors, but celery, bell pepper and onion are also listed on the can.

No comments:

Post a Comment