Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Nanny Ruth's Hamburger Soup

There is a cafe not far from my house that serves hamburger soup every Monday at lunch. I often stop in to enjoy some. My love for hamburger soup began in high school, at the high school cafeteria believe it or not. Those lunch ladies made a mean pot of hamburger soup!


When I graduated high school, my grandmother gave me a hope chest and a recipe book with her tried and true recipes. Hamburger soup was among the select dishes. And for some reason, I have never tried to make it myself! I am not sure if I just missed the recipe in the book or what happened. What happened tonight was a pot of delicious soup!


Nanny Ruth's Hamburger Soup
1 1/2 lb ground beef (I used lean)
1 medium onion, diced
1 can tomatoes (I used 19oz can of diced tomatoes with italian spice. It was in the pantry)
3 cans consomme (I used 2, picked up a can of broth by accident)
4 carrots, chopped fine
2 cups water (I used three cans of beef broth instead)
1 bay leaf
8 tablespoons barley (I used pot barley)
1 cup cabbage, chopped fine
1/2 cup celery, chopped fine
Salt and Pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients in a pot and simmer for 2 hours.
I browned my ground beef, then added my remaining ingredients.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment