Saturday, February 13, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day

I received a special delivery on Friday!







Aren't they purdy?? I have the best husband ever!

I was planning on being Wonder Woman in the kitchen today, but I woke up this morning with a killer headache. I maxed out on my ibuprofen intake for the day, and it only numbed the pain for a few hours. Long enough for me to whip up a cake.

I decided on another recipe from Nanny's cookbook. Her friend Joan's Chocolate Oatmeal Cake. I hadn't made it before, but I recall eating it as a kid when Joan would come to Nanny's for a visit. If raw eggs don't bother you, lick the beater. You can thank me later.




Joan's Chocolate Oatmeal Cake

  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 1/2 cup margarine or butter
  • 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 6 Tbs cocoa
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp vanilla

Mix oatmeal and water in a mixing bowl (or stand mixer bowl). Allow to sit until cooled.

Once it is cooled, beat in margarine/butter, brown sugar, and eggs. Sift in flour, baking powder and cocoa and beat. Add vanilla. Mix baking soda with a teaspoon of hot water in a small bowl and add in.

Pour batter in a greased 8x8 pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes. Don't overbake!

No comments:

Post a Comment