Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Kung Pao Chicken

One of our favorite recipes is for Kung Pao Chicken. I thought I lost my recipe and tried to recreate it from memory with no luck.


I found said recipe on Saturday!! So of course we had this over the weekend. It is a spicy Asian dish that you can add whatever you like too. You can adjust the spiciness by adjusting the chili flakes in the marinade and the sambal in the sauce. I have added red pepper, green pepper, onion, mushrooms, bean sprouts, carrots. You can add veggies, or leave them out. If you like tofu, add some.


I am not on the tofu bandwagon.


Don't like chicken? Try pork. Or beef. Or scallops. I serve mine over Farkay's WunTun noodles. I found them at Safeway in the asian aisle. But you could use other noodles or rice. The sauce calls for Sambal Oelek. I found it in asian aisle in a small plastic jar with green lid. If you can't find it, I think you could sub for sriracha.

Whatever suits your fancy. I would love to hear your variations if you give it a spin.







Kung Pao Chicken


3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped in bite size pieces

Marinade
2 Tbs soy sauce
1 tsp dried red chili flakes
1 tsp corn starch

Sauce
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 Tbs soy sauce
1/2 tsp sambal oelek
1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs sugar
1 tsp hoisin sauce

1 tsp corn starch, dissolved in 2 tsp cold water (for thickening at end)

Marinate: Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl, and add chopped chicken. Stir to coat and let stand for at least 10 minutes.

Prepare Sauce: In a seperate bowl, combine sauce ingredients and set aside.

Heat 2 Tbs oil in a non stick skillet. Add chicken and marinade. Stir fry until no longer pink. Add sauce and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Add the dissolved corn starch to thicken.

Serve over hot rice or noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment